Thursday, March 13, 2014

A day at the vet

I am not the only one in the family with dental issues.

The vet told me last week that Maddie needed her teeth cleaned or else all sorts of terrible things would happen. I said I never had a dog's teeth cleaned, but she said it is really the thing to do, so I went along with the plan.

The procedure was performed today under general anesthesia. This morning Maddie could not understand why I didn't feed her. She kept looking at the barrel where her food is, and then at me. When we got to Valley Vet, she "asked" the tech for a treat, but alas, she had no luck there either.

The poor thing's eyes were bloodshot when I picked her up at the end of the day. She sat while I paid the bill…and turned her back on me. She wouldn't turn around for me or for the vet tech, a sure sign that she was angry.

Now she is asleep on her spot on the couch. First she sat surveying the situation, and I wasn't sure she could make it. I will have to spot her when she gets down.

At least she didn't need any teeth pulled.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shame on you! We always cleaned our dogs' teeth. Michael even bought dental tools for the purpose. Having our German Shepherd's teeth cleaned at the vet's got to be too expensive and I didn't think it was a good idea to anesthetize the dogs regularly. I'm glad for Maddy's sake they you took care of it now!

Anonymous said...

Here's to Canine-Comraderie and Comfort!

xop

Ronni Gordon said...

To the person who posted "shame on you" anonymously, my vet says those dental tools are actually dangerous because they could scrape the dog's gums. The best things are Eukanuba foods or Science t/d because they have safe amounts of scraping qualities.