Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Hospital happenings

The kidney doctor, a resident, came in last night and told me my options. They ranged from just watching the kidney with scans to opening me up and taking a piece out of the kidney.

I called Ben and started to cry. I felt overwhelmed like I did in 2003 when a parade of doctors all gave me different options for treating my fungal pneumonia. One surgeon came into my room late at night and said they might do major surgery to remove the fungal ball. I cried after he left. He did not have the best bedside manner. The next day my mother and I were talking along The Pike, a long hospital corridor, when we saw the doctor. He looked kind of rumpled. My mother said, "Don't worry about him, he's the janitor." They ended up taking a less invasive approach called a VATS, short for Video Assisted Thoracic Surgery.

I guess I am vulnerable from having felt so bad. I told Ben I had been looking forward to a summer of tennis and fun, and now, this. He reminded me that it is just May, with plenty of summer to come. Hearing it from him made me feel better.

I need to make an outpatient appointment with the kidney doctor in the next couple of weeks. I'm just going to give it up to Dr. Alyea. I wish I could take him to the appointment with me. It's wonderful to have a doctor you trust so implicitly.

I was supposed to go home today with a PICC line, a catheter inserted into your arm, so that I could finish the rest of my IV meds at home. Unfortunately, I spiked a fever of 101 last night, so I have to stay longer. It could have just been a normal occurrence with the pneumonia, but if it continues they will need to do further testing.

A PICC line is inserted at the bedside. I've had two. The first one went in without a problem, but they couldn't find the vein on the first try for the other one, so they had to jiggle the needle around. Bad experience.

I was receiving two antibiotics this morning. One of them stung going in, so my nurse slowed the pace, and I thought it felt better. Then a looked over and saw that my left arm was swollen, and all of a sudden I felt a sharp pain.

The IV nurse removed it and put it in the other hand. I got a a warm compress and an Oxycodone and felt better.

Diane is coming soon and we are going to walk around. It's good to see something other than the inside of this room.


susiegb said...

So sorry you're having to go through this 'hospital hiccup' Ronni! This too shall pass!! And as your son says - you have a whole summer ahead of you to get better in the sunshine!

Joanna said...

You certainly have gone through so much and have had to tolerate so much pain and trauma. I hope you heal quickly and get back on the court a.s.a.p.

Marty said...

I am continually left speechless by the type of doctor that comes in with earth-shattering news, and then gives you options and expects you to make the medical decision. Obviously, you need to run this by your main doc, Dr. Alyea, and trust his judgement. Again, I know that you will get through it, and be playing tennis this summer. Maybe I'll challenge you to a couple of sets, if you promise not to make me look and feel too foolish.

Anonymous said...

As i said on the phone, you are so courageous! courage! an inspiration to so many -- friends and people whose lives you have touched via your writing...

Thank You, Runder-Woman...


have i ever told you that you are also Gordon-Gorgeous?