Friday, April 10, 2015

Something else to keep me busy

In the general scheme of all things cancer related, the following is not a big deal.

It is, however, an annoyance, a logistical challenge and a general mood buster.

It turns out that I will need the ECP for my graft vs. host of the skin. I saw my dermatologist, Dr. Lieu, today, and she said now is the time to take action because it has gone into my hands. The only other place besides Boston is New Haven, and that isn't any easier. So I will be in Boston at the Kraft Blood Donor Center for two consecutive days a week, three hours each session, for three months.

In the the process, blood is removed, white blood cells are separated, then exposed to ultraviolet radiation which in my own layperson's terminology gets them to behave, and then returned to the body.

I will need to alternate overnights at Margaret or Diane/David's. I can pick from three times, 7 or 11 a.m. or 3 p.m. Probably a 3 p.m one day and maybe even a 7 a.m. the next day so I could just roll out of bed, get hooked up, and doze through it.

I saw Melissa after Dr. Lieu and she said that although Dr. Alyea did not want to up my prednisone alone, most people doing this procedure take more than I do. So I have to go back up to 10 milligrams a day. Not happy about that but hopefully it will just be until this thing gets under control and then I can decrease again.

Good news: I will not need a port.

I went for a "vein check" today, and my veins look good.

I have good people who will put me up/put up with me.

The process generally yields good results.

Hopefully afterwards I will feel better in my own skin.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Best of luck, Ronni. Keeping it all in perspective is good...Keep up your spirits and sense of humor may not be as easy.Love you,
Betsy