Saturday, October 17, 2015

Holy cow, I'm glad I checked

I just started taking two prescriptions for the same gastrointestinal disorder I had about four months ago: metronidazole (flagyl), and ciprofloxacin. The combination worked the last time this happened, so I am hoping for the best. If it doesn't work, I might have to up the prednisone.

I hardly ever drink, but I am going out tonight and thought I might have one beer. It says on the flagyl bottle not to drink alcohol, but I didn't know if it just reduced the efficacy or if it was something worse.

I started to look up in google,  "What happens when you drink alcohol with metronidazole," and as soon as I got to the word "with," it filled the rest in for me. Obviously this question has been asked before.

I'm glad I checked.

All sorts of horrible things will happen.

According to Healthline, combining alcohol with this medicine can cause:

abdominal pain
cramps
nausea and vomiting
face redness
headaches

And, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, drinking alcohol within 24 hours of taking metronidazole increases your risk of side effects. Potential life-threatening side effects from this combination include blood pressure changes, rapid heart rate, and liver damage.

As for the other drug, cipro, it's hard to figure out when to take it. You take one tablet twice a day, with plenty of water.

It says on the label, "Do not take antacids, iron, vitamin/mineral supplements within 6 hours before or  2 hours after this medicine. It also says, "May cause dizziness" and "avoid prolonged or excessive exposure to sunlight while taking this medicine."

The latter presents a quandary. Next week is supposed to be nice, and Wednesday will probably be the last chance to go to George's clinic at the Canoe Club.

Should I stay or should I go?

1 comment:

susiegb said...

I take ciprofloxacineo quite frequently (for a bronchiectasis-associated cough). It works fine for me and I don't get any of those side effects. I think you just have to be aware and watch out for potential problems. But they probably won't happen!