Saturday, August 31, 2013

Tons of tennis, all around


Me with Donna and Deb at the U.S. Open
We had a great time but an exhausting one at the U.S. Open yesterday, Day 5 of the tournament, going by bus with a group from the Enfield Tennis Club.

With so many matches occurring, it was a little overwhelming, but it was fun to see all the scores updated like so many trains arriving and leaving from Penn Station. Our seats in Arthur Ashe Stadium were way up in the nosebleed section, giving us an aerial view of Novak Djokovic's easy match against   Benjamin Becker. It was so hot up there that I couldn't make it through the third set. I'd like to get the tickets earlier next year and sit closer.


We did, however, sit at courtside for a singles match between number 8 Angelique Kerber and Kaia Kanepi; sitting so close, you really get a sense of how hard they hit. We also saw a women's doubles match, which was good for us doubles players.

And at USTA member appreciation day, we paid homage to the trophies. ("No touching!" we were warned.) It was a little hokey, but we got into the spirit.

While we were there, I got a call from the dermatologist's office with the results of the biopsy of the spot on my lip. It turns out to be another squamous cell, and I will need to set up an appointment with a surgeon in Boston to get another Mohs procedure. A spot on my wrist was also squamous cell, but the biopsy itself took care of it. I need to return Tuesday to get the stitches out, and then I will get a call from a surgeon's office about scheduling the appointment.

The call was disappointing because when I saw my dentist Thursday to fix a chipped filling, he said he was almost sure it was herpes, not cancer. I am not too happy about this, but I tried to keep it from ruining my day.

Not being 100 percent, the running back and forth and up and down stairs wore me out. It might be tiring if you didn't just have major surgery a little more than a month ago. I fell asleep as soon as I got on the bus.

There is plenty of tennis to watch in the next week, and now I have a different perspective because I've been there.

Tomorrow, I might go hit a few with Donna.

No comments: