Sunday, May 17, 2009

Good news from the lab

Sorry I've gone almost a week without posting. I still haven't been feeling well, and my desire to post seeped away along with much of my energy.

I did, however, have a good visit at the clinic on Thursday. Having not had a transfusion since Monday, I had 18 platelets, which was good for me. I got a bag anyway, because 18 (thousand) is not exactly high, and there was a bag of closely matched platelets ready for me,  specially donated by one of several people (including my sister).

The big news is that my latest chimerism report came back, and I remain 100 percent donor. That was a relief. While I was getting my platelets, Dr. Alyea stopped by and said I would soon be able to reduce my clinic visits to twice a week, and, he hoped, once a week not too long after that.

I have an appointment tomorrow, when I will again ask about the cough and the intestinal problems and continuing lack of appetite. Since they haven't found anything serious, they are not too worried.

I did get a prescription for Marinol, which is supposed to decrease nausea and increase appetite. Also known as THC, the drug is a man-made form of the active natural substance in marijuana. "Some people say it makes them a little silly," Melissa said.

So I was going to get high and then get the munchies?It sounded promising to me. When I took it Friday night I thought I did feel something different. But over the weekend I felt it just added to my general lack of energy, plus I threw up anyway shortly after I took it. Oh well.

I managed to get home again this weekend, which was nice as usual. On Friday, my friend Barry kindly drove to Newton from Western Massachusetts and took me back to South Hadley. Joe drove me back to Diane's today.

14 comments:

Howard said...

Happy to read about the good news!

susiegb said...

Great to hear your good chimerism report and all. Sounds like you're managing to have some treats (going home) ... Hope everything continues on this upward path and you get stronger and healthier by the day (or week!)

:)

donna said...

SOUNDS GOOD! YAY!

Anonymous said...

Great news on the 100%! That's very promising! I love that they're trying to give you the munchies... hope that works and your system gets back to normal. There's a funny story in there somewhere- here you are being the responsible adult + mother and leading by example, and then they give you "silly" drugs. Life is odd...
Glad you're getting home to SoHad, that has to be the highlight of the week- family time! Sweet of Barry to drive you. Keep plugging along and staying positive, the rest will just fall into place...
Mieke

Trish said...

when I was deep into chemo, a friend got me the liquid gold version of THC. I put it in tea mostly. The first night, I felt like I was drunk on about 6 double shots of whiskey. The second try I was a little woozy. After that, it just reduced the pain. The second round of chemo, that same friend got me some smokable stuff. It made me feel like I needed to sanitize my throat and lungs. It did ease the pain and nausea. Neither one made me hungry, in fact, I think it made me less hungry. But it DID take care of the nausea. And after the first few tries, I didn't have "the stupids" anymore.

Given a choice, I'd go for the liquid stuff again.

It also works well in brownies.

And since what the docs were giving me didn't do squat to stop the puking, nausea or lack of desire to eat---I was thankful to my friends who were there to help me out.

Glad you've got 18 platelets to rub together. Keep on going!

Susan C said...

Great to read all the good news (except for the fact that you are still feeling pretty lousy).

I have to share a "silly" story. A friend is an "authorized dealer" for California medical mari. It's different because she uses the pot to make the most delicious candies - white chocolate, toffee, you name it. She gave it to me when I first started treatment, I tried a tiny piece and then forgot about it. Months later, I discover this great looking candy in the fridge, forget where I got it and eat a whole bag.

I was sick AND silly.

Wendy S. Harpham, MD said...

Dear Ronni,
Thanks for keeping us updated about your continued baby steps in the right direction.

"18" is symbolic for "living" in Judaism. So even though 18K platelets isn't your ultimate goal, maybe thinking of it as a "living" steppingstone can boost your hopefulness about continued recovery to wellness.

You may enjoy this story: I gave my daughter a few little gifts for graduation this weekend, one of which was a framed poster that I'd hung in my office when I had my medical practice before I got sick. It's a picture from 20 feet behind a runner on an empty two-lane road approaching the bottom of a hill before a bigggggg uphill. The caption reads: "The race is not always to the swift, but to those who keep on running."

With hope, Wendy

Anonymous said...

Happy to hear the good news about your chimerism. Hang in there. Hope the appetite comes back to give you a little more energy. Reading your blog has made me want to go donate platelets!!! Stay positive...and keep blogging. I have enjoyed reading your notes. I just recently found your blog and went back and read tons of your postings... have been waiting for an update and am happy it is a positive one. Shannon

Anonymous said...

GREAT news, and twice a week will soon become once a week but the great thing is 100% donor cells!!!
Lea

PJ said...

Glad you got some great news! Sorry the marinol didn't work out--it sounded promising.

Korby said...

Keep up the good work Ronni!
You'll be home in time for our good weather! Love, Korb

susan said...

Wonder if you might feel more tired because you are doing more, without really even realizing it?

Sorry to repeat here what everyone else has written over the past weeks, but..you went through A LOT and it's going to take time for your body to recover!

pam said...

Dearest Ronni,

i'm with Susan...You are getting stronger by the day, it's just that you have been through the mill, and that's an understatement...

Looking at the title with the word "Lab," i glanced to the wonderful picture of you with your lab...Madison, and think this is a great omen...as you know, i am forever of the dog...

can't wait to visit you when you're home...it's near on the horizon...when once again you will be running free...

Claudia said...

I spent the last 1 1/2 hours reading your blogs from the past 2 months.( I didn't know you were writing again) I'm sorry you had to go through so much but it's behind you and the news is great.You are one of the strongest people I know .Keep telling yourself that and soon you'll be home feeling great.I'm here if you need me.