Friday, February 15, 2019

Please let me tell you about my feet

From Our Neuropathy Friends Facebook page
First of all, I'll say straight out that nobody wants to hear about your feet (or mine) unless they suffer from the same condition.

For example, if someone asks how you are, and you say, "My feet are killing me!" you're probably not going to get a good response if their feet are fine. If you say that your plantar fasciitis is acting up, and they've had the same infuriating ailment, you could probably talk for a long time. Similarly, if you say your neuropathy is driving you crazy and you're talking to a fellow sufferer, you'll be good to go. If not it is just not going to sound that interesting, or that believable for that matter, to try to explain to someone that your feet can be numb and painful at the same time, that you feel like you're walking on rough sand, or on little nails, or that your feet have an electric current in them. Or that, tantalizingly, it will get better but then it will sneak up on you again. 

The 4,325 members of the Facebook group Our Neuropathy Friends know what it's all about. I don't post much, but I did the other day, and I got some helpful advice, and support, which is also important. Of course the remedies are all over the place because each person's experience is individual. Some have found relief from CBD. I've also checked in to a group called CBD Oil Users, with 161,860 members. 

I take1,500 milligrams of gabapentin (Neurontin) daily. It takes the edge off, but the results are not great, because there always is, at minimum, a buzz. I get acupuncture and have been using some CBD. (Short for Cannabidiol, CBD is the non-psychoactive component of the cannabis plant, not the part that gets you high, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). 

Sometimes I think it's helping, other times, I think not. I'm encouraged, though, because studies have shown that cannabinoids can alleviate neuropathic pain. I recently met some people who are happy with its benefits for themselves and for their dogs. In case you haven't noticed, you can get CBD all over the place, even in the mall. Where I'm getting it, and how I'm using it, is material for another post.

With the latest flareups, I decided it was time to check in Dr. Ugonma  Chukwueke, (pronounced Chew-kwe-kee) the Dana-Farber neurologist I saw a couple of years ago. I left a message and was supposed to get a call back but didn't. Melissa nudged. I got a call back from a scheduler who said Dr. Chukwueke is not the person for me. Neuropathy like mine, resulting from chemotherapy, is not her expertise. She specializes in neuro-oncology, or neurologic complications of cancer, for people who have cancer, not people who have chronic conditions resulting from treatment. I wondered then, why I got sent to her in the first place. (Picture eye roll.)

In any case, I now have an appointment for next Friday. It's at 9:30 a.m., which is not so great. But the doctor, David Pilgrim, sounds great. He has excellent patient reviews and the impressive title of chief, clinical neurology, Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital, and instructor, Harvard Medical School.

 In addition to discussing alternative treatments, I'll bring up the possibility of switching to Lyrica (pregabalin.) As I wrote in this story, both gapabentin and pregabalin have side effects. I don't think I'm taking the highest dose of gabapentin, but I've been afraid to take too much more, for the reasons the patients discuss in the story.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey everyone!
Today I come to you with so much excitement!
My Ex and I broke up 1 year and 2 months ago and i was six months pregnant. We both love each other and it was a shock to me and it really broke my heart. I tried to call him and both of his lines were disconnected. I tried to reach him on social networks but he deleted me off of them. I tried to reach his parents and they told me that their son said that he does not love me and does not want to see me and they do not know what is wrong. I cried and cried everyday because I loved him very much. Until I gave birth and the baby was one year old, I could not get my love back. Again, I was confused. I do not know what to do and I also lost my job and I have no money to take care of the baby. I was miserable in life so I cried to my sister and told her my problem and said that she knew of one powerful spell caster that helped her when she could not get pregnant. I contacted him by email and he said he will help me and told me that a woman cast a spell upon my man and said he will help me break the spell so my man will come back to me and be mine forever. It was a great surprise to me that everything that he said came to pass. My man came back to me immediately, saying that I should forgive him. I am sending a very big thank you to this powerful and real spell caster. I pray for him to live long and do more of his wonderful work. If you have any kind of problem disturbing you in life, you have to contact this powerful spell caster! He can help you. He will not disappoint you, I give you 100% guarantee that he will help you,
Here’s his contact Email: Ahmedutimate@gmail.com
Call or Whats-app him: +2348160153829

TORRES MADONA said...

my name is Promise dickson Finch am from Texas USA. I want to share a testimony of how Dr. OLU herbal mixture cream saves me from shame and disgrace, my penis was a big problem to me as the size was really so embarrassing,and i was also having weak erection problem. I can make love to my wife and my penis was just too small a full grown man like me having 4 inches penis and to worsen it i don't last in sex i cant even last two minutes it was really a thing of shame to me. My wife was really tired of me because my sex life was very poor,she never enjoyed sex,i was always thinking and searching for solutions everywhere until when i saw a testimony of how Dr. OLU. herbal mixture cream have been helping people regarding their sex life, so i decided to give him a try and to my greatest surprise in less than two weeks of taking the herbs my penis grow to 8 inches i couldn't believe my eyes and as i speak now my penis is now 8 inches and i do not have weak erection again. I can make love to my wife longer in bed. And my marriage is now stable,my wife now enjoy me very well in bed. You can contact him via (drolusolutionhome@gmail.com) You can contact him today and get your problem solved.Call +2348140654426 .." or you can also contact him through his what-app +238140654426