Saturday, October 11, 2014

Hello from Minneapolis

I took my mother with me on the plane to Minneapolis, and now I feel that she is keeping me company while Katie attends a program required by Teach for America.

Well, first of all, I am not saying that I actually took her. I took a framed painting – a "Lynne Gordon original" – that Katie wanted for her new apartment. The still life watercolor is an early piece signed  Lynne Lewin in her perfect handwriting.

I was thinking of going to Staples to get packing materials when it occurred to me that I could just wrap it in newspaper, put it in a bag and take it with me as a carry on. First I read the newspaper and then I wrapped the picture in it, proving that the paper is not just good for "fish wrap." I liked the idea of wrapping it in her beloved New York Times.

I prepaid the $20 required to check my bag, but on the way back I can just carry it on.

There were some adorable babies on the plane yesterday, making me even more anxious to see my own, who I can't believe is 22. She is doing well in the first year of her Teach For America stint teaching ESL in an elementary school here.

It incredibly nice here with a lot of cool things to do and see including a lake near her house and another near where I am staying (just 1.3 miles from her, another winner found through airbnb).

I had looked up a restaurant where I could have lunch but ended up at a different place that looked inviting. It is called French Meadow Bakery and Cafe, and its owner is......drum roll....Lynn Gordon.

On the wall there is a framed newspaper story about her, headlined "Risen Star Lynn Gordon."

How cool is that?

We are going to walk around Lake Harriet and then have dinner and go to see "The Heidi Chronicles" at the Guthrie Theater. Fun!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is sooo cool, and does not surprise me -- your wonderful parents are always with you...

I cherish all of the times of their warmth, generosity, wit, etc. hospitality...all of the Gordons are forever a great gift in my life!

xop