Sunday, October 20, 2013

Not a pretty sight

My bathroom countertop is covered with snippets of band-aids cut at odd angles. This is the result of my trying to find the right shape to cover up the stitches that run down from my nose to under my lip.

I was happy to get the original bandage off, but the nurse's craftsmanship was better than my own. It looks totally odd, plus I can't keep my hands off of it because (1) it feels like it might feel off, and (2) it hurts when I laugh.

At a distance, you might think my lips were taped together. But as it is, the shape – with a couple of band-aids horizontally and one smaller piece hanging down below my upper lip – makes me look like a chipmunk. It reminds me of the bad old days of high prednisone intake when I resembled a chipmunk.

I stayed off pain meds all day so that I could function, but I had to take some by late afternoon.

I am getting by with help from my friends (and kids), from Atkin's pumpkin bread and Evelyn's chocolate chip cookies and from Macoun apples. I cut them into slices and slide them into the side of my mouth that works.

Looking forward to Wednesday when the stitches come out.

No comments: