Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Fun in the (hot) sun at tennis trip to Newport



Ben and I flank the statue of tennis legend Fred Perry.
Ben and I had our usual good time in Newport at the Hall of Fame Tennis Championships on Sunday, but I only know the winner because I read about it.

It was so hot up in the stands that I began to fee a little light-headed, even after we each had the traditional delicious frozen lemonade. I said I really had to leave, and inching our way down the steps actually provided the best view. You can only move on the changeover, and we could only make it a few rows at a time because other people were doing the same thing. As we got closer, you could really hear the sound of the ball hitting the racquet. It's something you don't get on TV.

View from the restaurant.
We saw about a set and a half as Nicolas Mahut defeated Lleyton Hewitt 5-7, 7-5, 6-3 on the grass courts. The part we saw plus just being there was definitely enough to make the trip worthwhile. We had lunch at a restaurant with a view of the harbor, got serenaded by musicians playing lively music at the entrance to the grounds and afterwards walked down to the harbor and enjoyed the view.

You see some of the most beautiful views just driving there. Somehow I thought we could also do the Cliff Walk, but we'll have to save that for another day.

Like mother, like son, Ben lead us past a few coffee places until we got to Starbucks. I usually prefer hot coffee, but the iced coffee on that day really hit the spot. I wanted to jump into the water, but that wouldn't have been a good idea.
Musicians serenade visitors to the Tennis Hall of Fame Championships.
Down at the harbor.

No comments: