Tuesday, July 23, 2013

From here to there and back again

Life lately has consisted of memorable occasions alternating with hospitalizations: Ben and Meghan's wedding in April followed by pneumonia in May, and now Jessica and Dan's wedding on Sunday to be followed by surgery for removal of my kidney lesion on Thursday.

Well, at least I made it to the weddings, and they make good fuel for getting through being in the hospital.

Jessica is my high school friend Emily's daughter. It was really important for me to recover from the pneumonia on time to get there. My high school friends and I share all our big occasions. It was a chance for us to be together and to share Jessica's joyful celebration with her and with Emily's other friends and relatives whom we have come to know over the years.

Having flown to Pittsburgh on Friday, I returned to Hartford yesterday and proceeded to drive to Boston for my pre-op appointment.

I was so tired from the busy weekend that I stopped in a rest area to take a nap. When I awoke with a jolt, I thought I was still on the airplane.

After waiting more than an hour for my pre-op appointment, I was passed from person to person. First, a researcher from Dana-Farber asked permission to take some extra blood one time only and to study any tissue left after the pathology department took what they needed. Forms were produced for me to sign. Next a researcher from Brigham and Women's asked the same thing, apologizing for the fact that the two entities had not coordinated their efforts. I said I would get him a good place in line if he got me some action in the pre-op schedule.

The nurse appeared and took me in. We went over my medication list and requirements for preparing for surgery, including, very importantly, not applying any hair product like gel because the alcohol content in it might make my hair catch on fire. I'm glad I found that out.

I had gotten my labs taken from my right arm, and now a phlebotomist appeared with a tray full of tubes. One was for typing my blood and the rest were for research. So then I got stuck in my left arm. (I already know that my blood type is B, which is Denise's and not my old type, O Positive. Hum Twilight Zone music here.)

 I was drained. I drove to Diane and David's, had an early dinner and went to bed, then drove back home today and will go back tomorrow. I'll sleep in Newton again and then return to the hospital bright and early at 5:30 a.m. Surgery is at 7:30. I'll welcome the chance to take a nap.


Bussiere On Line said...

Hang in there Ronni... I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers on Thursday...

Robin said...

Good luck sith the surgery...keeping you in my thoughts.

Denise said...

hi Ronni
Maybe it was a typo on your part, but I'm pretty sure my blood type is A+. So one of us is wrong! ;)
Best of luck on the surgery - I hope it's an easy one to recover from.
all the best, Denise

Ronni Gordon said...

Hey Denise,

I guess that's why they do the typing because they can't rely on patients.

I knew it had changed and I thought it was A. But now I know that it is A+.

In any case, thanks for all the good new blood!

Joanna said...

Here's to fast recovery, good outcomes, and lots of fun things to look forward to.

Anonymous said...

Seeing you at the wedding was so affirmative! Runder-Woman...you are and will be fine...and -- as ever -- inspirational!