Friday, September 13, 2013

San Francisco sightseeing

With my cousin Wendy Fitch
Our San Francisco tour yesterday started at City Lights 
Bookstore, the literary landmark founded in 1953 by poets
Lawrence Ferlinghetti and Peter D. Lawrence.

My cousins Nancy, Wendy and I continued on to walk through the North Beach area, having lunch at a wonderful Italian restaurant followed by cappuccino at CafĂ© Greco, which the former policeman sitting outside assured us was the best coffee in the area.

Then we walked through Washington Square to Telegraph Hill, climbing the 378 steps (plus or minus) to Coit Tower, a 210-foot tower built in 1933, with frescoes capturing the working life of Californians.

Luckily there were handrails most of the way up, and for the other parts, one of my cousins offered an arm. Then we walked down the 397 steps, through the treetops.

Below Coit Tower
We wound up on the Embarcadero, the piers along San Francisco Bay including the sections where the Americas Cup is happening. (Nancy is going to take me to her yacht club Sunday to watch it!)

We definitely got a lot in. It was a great day with sweeping views, good food, interesting sites and a lot of catching up. And at night, I wasn't tired at all!

Today we're going to Golden Gate Park. And tonight I'll continue my admittedly scattershot but sincere observation of the High Holidays by going, California-style, to services at the Acquarion Minion, a Renewal congregation near here.

Photo below is our view of the Bay Bridge and the San Francisco Ferry Building from Coit Tower.

No comments: