Monday, September 2, 2013

'Keep a stiff upper lip'

Yesterday I was thankful for tennis on two channels. I could hardly get off the couch, both because of the tennis but also because of feeling just plain soggy myself in this dreary weather.

I'm sure other people felt the same, but it gave me too much time to ruminate about yet another thing needing to be done to me, specifically, the squamous cell that I need to have surgically removed from my lip. It's no big deal, but still, these things pile up.

Someone who asked not to be named summed it up: "They'll dig a hole, fill it up, and you'll be fine. Keep a stiff upper lip."

Considering that the thing is actually on my upper lip, that wasn't the best choice of words. It made me laugh and groan at the same time.

I am supposed to go to Boston tomorrow to have the stitches removed. They just fell out themselves on a little piece of loose skin, but I'm going anyway to have my lip checked and some spots on my face zapped. On Wednesday, Katie, Ben and I are going to Rosh Hashanah services at the Y. (Joe is unable to go because of school obligations.)

We have a new tradition with our cousins, but the days of the big family dinners are long gone, as are the days of going to services with my parents. It's good to have wonderful memories, but still, it makes me sad. Because of various reasons, it's going to be a quick in and out.

Having had no exercise for more than a month, I think I am suffering from a lack of endorphins. As someone whose identity is tied up with exercise, this makes sense.

Hey, there is a sale at Sears!!! I'm going to go to the mall and walk around there.


No comments: