Thursday, September 26, 2013

Reflexology 101


I did something different today, going for reflexology at the Cancer Connection in Northampton.

I have been aware of the programs, services and support of this wonderful place, but more as a reporter than a participant. Obviously I knew during the past 10 years that I definitely was qualified to take advantage of the services that are free to cancer patients, survivors and their caregivers, but I continued to see myself more as an observer.

That changed when I told a friend that I had been curious about reflexology and was going to pay for a session, and the friend suggested I check out the free programs that are available. Here is a definition of reflexology:

Reflexology is a gentle thumb-pressure technique that stimulates nerve endings in the feet and hands, corresponding to various parts of the body inducing deep relaxation. This soothing massage of the lower legs, feet and hands, combined with Reiki, help strengthen the immune system, activate circulation and restore a state of balance and calm.

I'm glad I went. It was so relaxing that I feel asleep, though the benefits might have been undercut when I woke myself up with a coffee and a chocolate chip cookie at the Woodstar Cafe so that I wouldn't be sleepy on my errands for the rest of the day. Anyway, sitting outside in the sunshine was as relaxing as the therapy had been.

The Cancer Connection itself is a soothing place, with an inviting living room where I filled out forms. I will definitely return to do reflexology again or try such other complementary therapies as massage, acupuncture and Reiki.

No comments: