Sunday, February 2, 2020

Thoughts on being a (sort of) eleven year old

Toasting my donor 
We tend to like the number one, because it is the first of something, and after that, we like round numbers. We celebrate the fifth anniversary of something or the 10th. At the paper, if someone sent in a press release about the “first annual” such and such, it was one of my pet peeves. I would change it to the first, because how did they know if it was annual yet?

The first anniversary of my stem cell transplant (s) was big. My first re-birthday. I did it twice. (For the other two out of four transplants, I didn’t make it past six months.) I had made it a year! Most restrictions were lifted. I could go places, eat strawberries, sit inside a restaurant. 

Even though two isn’t the round number favored in journalism circles, it’s a big one in stem cell transplant world. It’s when the cancer is unlikely to return. I didn’t make a big deal out of two years, not wanting to jinx myself. I did it twice. I think I might have had coffee with friends. 

Five years was the big deal. It was when I could say I was cured. (Though I never would actually say it myself.) My words: “They say I’m cured.” Doctors don't always say it this way, preferring to maybe cover their bases with “You’re no more likely to get leukemia than the rest of the population. "All the kids were around. We went out to Mulino’s, a favorite restaurant in Northampton, for a celebration complete with birthday cake and the number five. The waitress sang along. Maybe she wondered about the number five, maybe she didn’t even notice. 

A photo popped up on Facebook last month of my seventh “re-birthday,” showing my memory from four years ago of having a cake with Ben and Joe. I assume Katie was in Minnesota. I think we’ve done something on or around the date every year. 

Seventh re-birthday with Ben and Joe
Ten years was obviously super big. I don’t remember what we did, but we did something. Eleven, well, what can I say? It kind of slipped through the cracks.

A few weeks ago I thought about the approach of the 11th one. The date: January 30th. For a while we thought it was the 31st, but Denise, my donor, set the record straight. She should know. We were all in a fog, so being off by a day is understandable. 

Then came the date, Jan. 30th, 2020. My 11th re-birthday. I got an email from Denise, with the subject line, Happy Re-birthday, and reading, “I can’t believe it’s been 11 years.  Here’s to many more!” 

It was strange to not have a plan. 

But wait, I did have a plan, just not a plan with the kids.

My friend Diane and I had a coffee date at Barnes and Noble. That’s where we frequently meet. We sat next to each other at my first job at a daily newspaper, at the Transcript-Telegram, aka the T-T, in Holyoke, and then again at the Union-News/Sunday Republican, which morphed into The Republican. We are sisters of the newspaper world. So in a way I was seeing a relative.

Our birthdays are close to each other, mine in August and hers in September. We had already bought each other our birthday coffee. But when we went up to get our coffee, I said to the barista, “It’s my birthday!”

I wasn’t fishing for a free coffee. I just felt like saying it.

Diane said she already bought me my birthday coffee. I explained that it was my stem cell birthday.

“Well, that’s better,” she said. She got me my “re-birthday” coffee. I bought my own chocolate chip cookie.

She had already left when I realized it would be nice to get a photo. A bookstore staffer said she would be happy to do it. I mentioned the occasion and she said she was on the (bone marrow donor) registry but hadn’t been asked to donate. I thanked her and said you never know when a match might come up. 

I took a deep dive and read my post from Jan. 31, 2009, headlined, “New stem cells signed, sealed, delivered.” I can still picture the wild ride I had in the little room. After I got the cells, I reacted, like so: “I started shaking vigorously, and my heart rate went up. Helen gave me 25 mg. of Demerol, which didn’t stop the shakes. She paged a doctor who came in quickly. I got another dose of Demerol, more Benadryl, hydrocortisone and some Tylenol. Also they put me on oxygen.”

The night before, when I had gotten anxious, I wrote that Diane reminded me,“ You’re getting another shot at a whole new life. It’s great. It’s the miracle of modern science.” 

And she was right.

Last week when I told someone about the occasion, I said, "I'm 11 years old and a walking side effect!"

A couple of things to note.

1. I'm walking, which is more than I could say for a couple of months in bed, in the hospital, after that transplant.
2. After everything I've been through, the four stem cell transplants, the graft vs. host disease, the neuropathy, the 13 teeth lost, and the skin cancer that is partially a result of the treatment, I still have my sense of humor. Actually my sense of humor may even be better, because I need it.


No comments: