Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Our family's Hanukkah miracle

Tea for toddler and doll
After witnessing the lighting of two menorahs and going to two parties during real Hanukkah, I went to another party on Saturday at Ben and Meghan's. It was an attempt to cover as many bases as possible. Due to family comings and goings and the Christmas celebrations, it was the best time to do it and to get all the kids at once.

So if you count the time from first to last candlelighting, our Hanukkah miracle covered 18 days.

We exchanged presents, lit the menorah, ate good New York bagels courtesy of my niece Lily, and talked about this and that, one big that being who will the Democrats nominate in 2020.

As a follow-up, yesterday Ben, my go-to politics guy, sent this Politico story on which 2020 democrat won 2017. What can I say, as a family we enjoy discussing politics.

They said I was not woke for still supporting Al Franken. Maybe it's because I read his book and felt that I knew him, but I said I was upset that he resigned. He could have gone to a sensitivity training and helped form a commission on sexual harassment. Interestingly, on the way down, Katie was explaining the meaning of woke to me. Then at the party it was mentioned at least a dozen times.

Nell seemed to like the tea set I got her. It came from one of the stores in South Hadley's Village Commons. It feels good to support the local economy.

Katie gave me Ask Bubbe, the talking Jewish grandmother doll, made by a company called Mensch on a Bench. You squeeze her hand and she says funny things such as, "Oy vey, I'm tired, all these questions," and, "It wasn't like that when we were kids."

I guess I'm guilty of that second one.

I'm not sure about the gray hair in a bun, though.

Today is my Dana-Farber ECP day.

Dr. Linn recently checked my skin, but I found a new suspicious spot on the back of my neck. I tried to take a photo of it but was unable to twist my head far enough. So Katie took one and I sent it to the doctor. I want to know if I can just use Efudex like I'm doing on my hands now, or whether I need to get it looked at. Maybe my nurse friends today will have an idea. I hope it's just the Efudex. My skin turns screaming red, but it's better than getting stuck by more needles.

No comments: