Monday, June 1, 2015

Back to Boston for another procedure

It is impossible for me to stay away from Boston for too long.

Tomorrow I am heading back for an endoscopy to try to pinpoint and treat the cause of the stomach problems that I have had for more than two weeks. Melissa suspects it is a flareup of GVHD.

When I talked to a woman at the endoscopy center at Brigham and Women's Hospital today, she said that because it is a brief procedure, I would not be getting anesthesia. I thought but did not say, "You have got to be kidding." I said, "I'm sure that I got it the last time because I don't remember a thing."

She checked and said I was right. So, no eating after midnight.

The good news is that Joe is driving me and I do not have to depend on the whims of an unknown driver.

In other good news, I went closet shopping and found a pair of shoes I can wear to the Great Futures Gala on Thursday. I wore black lace-up Granny boots with a black skirt over the weekend in New York, and my friends said that although they looked cute, I should get some real shoes to go with the same skirt when I wear it to the Ludlow Country Club this week.

My mother's memorial service in 2006 marked the last and only time I wore the shoes. I never felt like wearing them again. Nor did I feel like giving them away. I guess it's time to give them a try.

Thursday's dinner event is a fundraiser for Springfield's Boys and Girls Club Family Center. The keynote speaker, Ruth E. Carter, is an alumna of the center and a Hollywood costumer designer who I interviewed on set at Mystic Seaport when she designed the costumes for Steven Spielberg's 1997 movie "Amistad."

I would like to say hello to her and also see several people from work who are going. It is a good chance to get dressed up and go out for a good cause.

I hope I feel up to it.

No comments: