Monday, August 17, 2015

When it comes to phones, not ashamed to be retro

I must have bee the most retro person at the Holyoke Mall on the tax holiday yesterday because:

1: I bought a new case for my iPhone 4S.

2: I bought a new landline.

It is getting harder to get a case for the 4S. When I couldn't find one at Best Buy, I thought I might have to get a 6 just because I can't find a case for my antique phone. But I did get one at the kiosk in front of the Apple store, in which shoppers were swarming. There is nothing wrong with my 4S, and I like the way it fits in my pocket.

I still like having a landline, although a child of mine questioned why "you people" use them. I don't like the way the iPhone heats up when I talk on it for a while, and using a headset doesn't do it for me. And though the possible link between cell phones and brain tumors is controversial, I still like the idea of giving my brain a break.

All this phone business triggered a dream.

I was trying to call my mother. I couldn't find my cell phone. The dial pads on the land line were not working. I asked a man if I could borrow his cell phone but it looked strange and I couldn't figure out how to use it.

We were going to meet at the beach, but Diane and I had gotten there first. It was our father's birthday, and we wanted to console her. Diane said they had already talked and our mother was OK, but I wanted to hear it for myself. We had gone down to the ocean, and I got the key from Diane to go back and look in the house. Mom wasn't there, but somehow I was transported to the New York apartment and found her covered up in her bed. When I sat down on the edge of the bed I thought she was crying, but really she was just talking on the phone to a friend.

Enough with the phones!

1 comment:

susiegb said...

Um Ronnie
Maybe you should be upgrading BECAUSE the iPhone 4 gets hot when you use it??!!
And I always just put loudspeaker on ...

I finally upgraded my iPhone 4 last year (to a 6). It had been great but it finally got to the point where I couldn't update some of the apps I used ... And within a very short period of time my iPhone 6 became a perfect size and the 4 seems somewhat small now ... :)