Tuesday, April 28, 2015

T cells get behavior modification

"We have to get them to stop acting like teenagers."

The "them" is my T cells,  and my nurse today at the Kraft Blood Donor Center at Dana-Farber told me this in explaining why it will be my home away from home for two days out of each week for the next three months or longer.

My first visits yesterday and today went well. The only discomfort occurred when the needle didn't quite hit the spot (not fun) and when my arm hurt for the last 10 minutes or so when my white cells were returned to me after being collected during the three-hour process called ECP, or extracorporeal photopheresis.

My blood went through six cycles during which white blood cells (which contain T cells) were collected and then the rest of my blood returned to me. At the end, a bag of white cells is subjected to UV radiation, which changes their DNA so they will stop attacking my skin.

"They're getting a spanking," the nurse said.

The process works for all kinds of Graft vs. Host Disease, and hopefully it will also help my liver and enable me to get off prednisone. Two other people were getting it done at the same time, and several more were scheduled for the next round at 11, and more for 3, which is when I did it yesterday, followed by the 7 a.m. session today. It felt early but it was actually a good time because I slept through most of it.

Clearly I'm not the only one who drives a distance. One couple, for example, comes from New Jersey.

And I'm not alone in getting GVHD of the skin years after my transplant. The nurse said one woman developed it after 12 years.

I had brought my computer and was able to read a little of the New York Times. I have a book but I'm not sure how that will go because I can only use one hand. I'll try it next time leaning the book on a pillow. The nurse said most people use a tablet. I'm still a hold-out on that, though.

Afterwards, I made a beeline to the cafeteria, where they have Starbucks coffee. It's not a great idea to drink too much beforehand, because if you go to the bathroom they have to put a board on your arm to keep it straight.

I texted the photo of me in the bed to Ben, Joe and Katie.

Joe wrote, "Looks comfortable!" and Katie wrote,

"Back at hotel Boston!"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello, Runder-Woman,

keep on healing...those cells sure need some modification!

xop