Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Lucked out with some bad ideas

Here are some things I did but maybe shouldn't have done which luckily ended up being OK anyway:

1. Pull a chair over to the smoke alarm at 4 a.m. when it was making the "replace me" beeping sound and stand up on that chair, at the top of the stairs, then yank the smoke alarm off the ceiling so I could get back to sleep because Joe wasn't home and it was a new kind of smoke alarm with a battery that does not come out easily and I could not get it out without taking the while thing down.

Here is why it was difficult: Thankfully I can do many things now, but the muscles in my quads are are not strong enough to climb up easily onto a chair. (Similarly I have noticed that the hardest part of going swimming at the Y is sitting down on the edge of the pool without flopping down before getting in...I had a dream that I dove in, but I don't think I can do that any more.)

Here is why it was silly: Not only could I have fallen off, but I could have fallen down the stairs. Perhaps I should have gone downstairs and slept on the couch.

I shared this with my friend Chip over our traditional eggs and bagels, (actually English muffins because the bagels were all sold out due to pre-blizzard rush), and he said he might also have done something like that and would have had a hard time explaining it to the doctor in the emergency room. Speaking of the emergency room...

2. Although Melissa had said to go to the ER because I had not kept anything down for several days, perhaps I did not need to call an ambulance even though Joe was not home. I told a friend I had called an ambulance and she said I should have called her. I forget that other local friends would do the same because after I called one friend for this kind of thing a couple of times, that friend seemed put out. Also Joe would understand if I threw up in his car (which I did one time into a plastic bag with holes in it!) but I don't want to risk it with friends. I guess I could take a plastic bag without holes.

3. Buy so much food for the #Blizzardof2015 which although it dumped about a foot of snow in South Hadley was not what it was cracked up to be.

I am wondering if I can still eat the chips and popcorn and cheddar rice cakes and if I can still make the cookies. Probably the answer to all of those is yes, why not, but probably wait to make the cookies until Katie comes home in March.

I miss my friend Patricia for many reasons including the fact that she liked to make lists and we could have compared ours because we loved to laugh together about our bad ideas.

No comments: