Thursday, September 20, 2012

Back to Boston

In keeping with the theme "it's always something," I am heading back to Boston today – after being there a week ago – to see my dermatologist for photodynamic therapy, or PDT, in which the top layer of your skin is burned off to remove precancerous cells.

I try to coordinate appointments, but it didn't work out this time.

This is my third PDT. Maybe, like the third Caesarean section, it will be easier than before because my body will not be quite as freaked out as the first time. Maybe not.

The procedure consists of having a medication applied to your face (or wherever) and then sitting under a scorching hot light that feels like the worst sunburn magnified. Afterwards, your face is bright red. After a while, the skin peels off and voila, you have new skin.

This, of course, is better than getting the skin cancers that I have had twice. And your skin looks oh so beautiful.

I am staying at Margaret's tonight and coming back tomorrow. I have already warned Margaret that I might whine. She said it was OK, but just to make sure that it is not too bad, I have packed a little of my favorite pain medication.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dearest Runni,

it will go great -- i have been, as you know, super allergic to the Sun since i was born...have had only one or two skin cancer cells --burned off...

you will be fine...it's just so strange that you support the Red Sox...! Yankee Girl...

xop

PJ said...

I think this therapy was suggested to me by my dermatologist. My face isn't affected but my arms and legs are really bad. Let me know if it works.