Saturday, February 20, 2010

Back on track

I can stop running back and forth to Dana-Farber for a while. Joe, who is on February break, drove me in on Wednesday for a CAT scan of the sinuses. It came back clean, and my blood work went back to where it was before it started being funky.

White count, at last check, was high at 15, a sign that I was fighting infection. (Normal is 3.8-9.2). This week it was 8.8.

Red and platelets had been lower than usual, but on Wednesday they were OK. Hematocrit was 32.1 (normal is 34.8-43.6), and platelets were 75 (normal is 155-410).

I'll take it. Turns out the disturbance was caused by a virus. I don't have to go back until March.

On Thursday evening I took a yoga class with Erin at her Ahimsa Yoga Center in South Hadley. In addition to being a good teacher who explains everything clearly, she has also become my friend and knows where I'm coming from. So I feel very comfortable going in there. I still don't have my strength and balance back; Erin said the only way is to practice.

I'm probably getting something from it, but it's hard to tell, because during some of the poses my mantra is "get me out of here, get me out of here."

Today Donna and I shared an hour-long lesson with our coach George, who I haven't seen in a while. It was nice to see him. I haven't been on a court with Donna for ages, either. She has some powerful strokes.

The hitting felt great; I didn't miss very many. George said my shots and endurance were looking good, and, same as Erin, he said I just need to practice and strengthen. He said that when his father was in bed after an illness, he pushed a broomstick up and down over this head. OK... Well I have a bunch of light weights and a workout plan for using them. I just need to use them more regularly.

Both Donna and Joe reminded me where I was this time last year. I was in the hospital and just about to take a turn for the worse. Dr. Alyea gathered my family one night (Joe says is was Feb. 22) and told them I might not make it through the night. Donna and another friend from tennis, Deb, had come to visit and were asked to leave the room. Donna remembers her fear when she saw how sick I was.

Today my concerns were: follow-through, hit under the ball, keep your eye on the ball, knock the ball off the cone, hit high when doing friendly volleys. Then, take the dog for a walk before it got way too dark, and then, take Joe and Katie out for dinner, something I haven't done in a long time.

Now I think I'll go lie down.


susiegb said...

So great to see "normal life" is creeping back in for you Ronni! Going to a yoga class and a tennis class - just great to hear! (big smiles)

Unknown said...

Fabulous report. Actually, a year ago you were in a euremic coma in the ICU and had just started mutliple times per week dialysis, always accompanied by a chase for matched platelets. So yes, I'd say you have progressed quite a bit since then!

Susan C said...

Wow! So great to read about your progress in so many ways.

PJ said...

Sounds like things are getting back to normal. Full steam ahead!

Ann said...

Sounds like you had quite a long day and didn't see a nap in there anywhere. I'm so glad it was a virus--ironic, I know. My numbers were a little too high for my comfort a short while ago. Turns out I was coming down with something. I never thought I'd be so thankful for your run of the mill germs and viruses. You've come so far in such a short amount of time. By this time next year, you'll be leaving everyone in the dust and doing one armed handstand poses in yoga. :)

Mandy said...

It's great to see you so active again. I work with ChiliTechnology and am a breast cancer survivor. A lifesaver for me was a mattress pad that cools (or heats) the bed: ChiliPad I wish they had one of these in every hospital. It was so essential for me because the chemo would make me alternately very hot, and then freezing cold - and I could adjust my bed using a remote control.

Trish said...

am also glad to hear you're returning to "normal".

I had a cold last week---the first I've had in 5 years, despite having gone thru chemo over the last 3+ years. Nice to worry about something other than blood counts.

Keep on doing something other than going to DF--hitting the cr@p out of the ball is a nice feeling, no matter how much time spent on the court!

pam said...

Dearest Runder-Woman,

What a difference a year makes!

Vive la difference!

saw Uncle Bill last week on the 22nd, walking by my School, and consider that an excellent omen!


doggerpam said...

Dearest Runni,

as your Father would say, 'serve them up,' as i would say, enjoy the frolic with the dog, -- as i said when you were in town, it is the year of the Tiger, and you are quite the gentle Tigress -- my heroine - hero-ronni!