Monday, November 11, 2013

The toothache from hell

My sense of humor is failing me.

I called my dentist on Friday to see if I could get in there because I had lost a filling on the left side of my mouth and had a terrible toothache on the right side. This was after he had told me to chew on the left side because I have an infected tooth on the right bottom. It was the upper right that was beginning to kill me, even though he had tapped on it and said it was just referred pain from the bottom.

Debbie, the receptionist, said he couldn't get me in until Nov. 21. "You've got to be kidding me!" I said. Nope. All she could do was call me if she got a cancellation.

Over the weekend, the pain came and went and then came and stayed until last night it was almost unbearable. I paced from the den to the kitchen and back and then sat on the couch and cried. I told Joe that it was worse than any pain I had ever had. Of course this is hard to judge, because at the time that you are having pain high on the scale, it will seem like the worst. I took two oxycodone (10 milligrams total) and an Ativan and made hot chocolate. I finally went to bed around 1 a.m.

This morning I took some Tylenol so I could drive if I got an early appointment with the dentist. Thank goodness for "Morning Joe," my comfortable couch and the cozy blanket I wrap myself in while Maddie dozes on her side and I doze on mine.

I ticked off the minutes until 8:30 when I could call. I stressed the words "oxycodone" and "terrible pain." Debbie said Dr. Debian was booked solid but she would check and call me back. Shortly after that, she called and said I could come in at 4:30 today. I hope he will take an x-ray to get to the bottom of this. I hope I am not sounding like an addict, but the Tylenol didn't help, so I took another oxycodone, otherwise I would be crying again through the day. By the time of my appointment, it will have worn off so that I can drive.

I will be ticking off the minutes until 4:30.


No comments: