Friday, December 11, 2009

Testing, testing, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

The last thing Melissa said before leaving on vacation on last week was, "Let's hope it's a quiet week."

Ha. I spent part of the week in a bed at Diane's head either sleeping or holding my aching head, part in the emergency room and part in the hospital.

Monday my platelets were high for me - 36 - but my hematocrit was 19.2. (Normal starts at approximately 35.) I had skipped getting blood the week before because although I was low, I felt fine. So a week later I needed three bags of blood. It took until 7:45 and I went to Diane's because it was too late to drive home.

Next day I woke up – if you could call it that – with the worst headache I can remember. I also threw up every half hour or so. Mostly I slept, unable to lift my head. I called Dr. Alyea and he said to go to the emergency room for tests. They gave me some strong pain and nausea medicine and administered an MRI, a CAT scan of my head and a lumbar puncture. Ouch.
Preliminary results were normal, so I went back to Diane's.

Next day, same thing. This time Dr. Alyea said I should be admitted into the hospital. So I did. I had another MRI at around 5 in the morning. I had two sets of neurologists come in and ask me to touch my index finger to theirs and then to my nose, then to follow their finger while they moved it back in forth in front of me. Then more tests: months of the year backwards, etc.

Several other teams examined me. Chin to neck. Good, no meningitis.

On Thursday, they said they couldn't fine anything and I could go. It was probably a virus or a drug reaction. I will find out more when I return on Monday.

Well, they are certainly thorough. I stayed at Diane's one more night because it had gotten late. Katie, who was in Brookline visiting her cousin, drove me home. Now I am just feeling kind of beaten up. I am, in fact, falling asleep sitting here. So I am going to take my book and go to bed.

8 comments:

Howard said...

Hang in Ronni. Hope you get a good night's sleep and have a boringly normal Sunday.

PJ said...

Ronni, I had a similar though not as dramatic experience this week. When I went to clinic Wednesday, my hematocrit was 21. I opted to get a transfusion in RI the next day at my local oncologist's lab. That night, I had a terrible headache that no amount of painkillers could relieve. When I finally dragged myself out of bed and had some coffee, I felt a lot better. I emailed Dr. Antin and he said to keep an eye on it. An mri and lumbar puncture would be done if the headaches persisted. Fortunately, they did not.

Maybe we had a reaction to the blood we received. Just a theory with only 2 subjects, but it's possible.

Have a restful day. We'll talk soon.

Nelle said...

Ronni,
So sorry that you had to go through this...I am glad nothing was found. I am wondering if perhaps the donor had some kind of a bug. There are so many bugs around right now.

Trish said...

well, gee, you just don't know how to take an easy break, do you? Glad Diane's was an option for you.

gotta ditto what PJ said about the blood or maybe meds---there were times I've had headaches that won't quit even with some of the best meds---Rx or even less legal meds.

keep the hydration up too.

and obviously, get plenty of rest.

nothing quite like a kick in the rubber parts from G-d when you're "feeling fine".

sending you well wishes and good thoughts and you're on my personal mi shebeirach list.

Anonymous said...

Hey are you a professional journalist? This article is very well written, as compared to most other blogs i saw today….
anyhow thanks for the good read!

Diane said...

What a ride last week, but you sure are a trooper. Running from CVS to CVS looking for your meds, and going back and forth to the ER and then the hospital added to the craziness of the week. What a relief that you checked out OK and are back in your own nest. As I said, it must be a positive sign that you have on numerous occasions been discharged on Jewish holidays!

Susan C said...

Yikes! I missed this post when it first came out. I hope you're feeling perkier again by now.

Daria said...

It's a bit frightening when there is something wrong and they can't find it.