Saturday, November 28, 2009

A spectator and a finisher at Talking Turkey Race

Ben, wearing a sweatshirt he bought at Joe's school,
after finishing the 31st annual Talking Turkey Race
in Holyoke today.

This morning I put on my running clothes and headed to Holyoke (Mass.) for the 31st annual Talking Turkey Race, held at the beautiful Ashley Reservoir.

Normally I would be running myself, but today I went with Katie as spectators. We were there to cheer on Ben in his second big race. I felt so proud to see him run and finish. He hadn't run in two weeks, but he looked good, finishing in 1:03 and vowing, like a true runner, to train more and do better next year. I said I'd run it with him.

Regarded as one of the region's elite races, it attracted 1,281 runners on a sunny and windy day. Along with the St. Pat's race in March, it's a staple of the local running scene, and I ran it many times. My parents, who came from New York every year for Thanksgiving, went with me to Holyoke for the race. I was never super-fast, but I did well enough. In 2001, I ran it in 51:32. I can still hear them cheering at the finish line.

I missed 2003, the year I was first treated for leukemia, but came back in 2004 – my first post-cancer race, when I finished in 1:02. The next two years I did better each time, but then I had to stop again when I relapsed.

My legs are just beginning to feel better. I fooled around a little at the race today when all the runners had passed by, and my legs felt like they had a little more bounce in them.

I really wanted to be back with the pack, but it was great watching Ben and a bunch of my friends finish, including Bob, Stuart and Laura Chipkin, Walter Hamilton, Joanne Instrum, Mary Kate Sullivan and Jen Hylemon.

Congratulations to everyone!

I hope to join you next year.

5 comments:

donna said...

You absolutely will be in that race and many more next year! You're on your way up! Great picture of Ben!

PJ said...

Congrats to Ben. I know what you mean about itching to run. I've been doing some jog/walking, but the strength is just not there. Next year, you'll run with Ben.

Susan C said...

I'm very impressed with your numbers.

Can't wait to read your after-run post next year!

Anonymous said...

Ronnie - that's a great time if you are talking a 10K. I ran across your blog again while reviewing comments on my wifes blog www.susan-can-help.blogspot.com You had left a comment on her blog some time ago. Good luck on getting your running going again. Walt from Battleground WA.

Anonymous said...

Hey are you a professional journalist? This article is very well written, as compared to most other blogs i saw today….
anyhow thanks for the good read!