Saturday, August 29, 2009

Cape Cod mini-vacation

Wheeeeeee! Vacation is fun!!!!!!

The harbor in Wellfleet. We walked along a path that you
can't see in the photo.

We had three great days on our mini-vacation to Cape Cod.
Blue skies and warm sun greeted us in Wellfleet and stayed with us during our stay. A rainy front was kind enough to wait until we got home, where it is now pouring. We walked on the beach, skipped stones, swam at the bay, ate ice cream and had dinner outside at The Beachcomber, a waterfront restaurant and one of our favorite places. (Melissa, my nurse practitioner, had given me permission to order fish and chips because we could assume it would be cooked at high heat.)


Ben, Katie and Joe outside The Beachcomber.

We also had time to hang around and read the newspaper and make some headway in our books. I followed through on my assignment to eat salty snacks and drink liquids with salt in them, in hopes of raising my sodium level. Thursday I got my blood checked at a lab on the Cape, and the results on Friday showed my levels had improved. I guess that means I have to keep eating potato chips.


Katie and me at one of our favorite bay beaches, South Sunken
Meadow in Eastham, one town west of Wellfleet.

On the way home, we listened to the WEEI/NESN Jimmy Fund Radio-Telethon, a fundraiser for the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. It was great to hear my doctor, Edwin P. Alyea, along with a patient who like me had more than one transplant. We were listening to interviews with survivors and family members when I heard a man speaking and said to myself, "Hmmmm, that sounds like Dr. Alyea." (I hadn't heard them introduce him or the patient.) My ears really perked up when host Glen Ordway said in response to something the patient said, "Well, Ted, what do you think of that?" Dr. Alyea sounded terrific.

Now, alas, we must do laundry and get ready for school. Joe leaves Sunday for Bates. This will be hard for me, but the time has come. Katie starts her senior year of high school on Tuesday. Yikes. Thank goodness for Maddie.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, our pictures of Welfleet make me miss an end of Augue East Coast Beach something fierce. I love the Pacific Ocean but miss the rambling sea grass and wooden sea fences and walls. Plus, no fried clams out here? Such a bummer.

You sound great- stay strong!!!
xo-Lea

Diane said...

How fabulous. I am so thrilled you had time away in the paradise of Wellfleet. As you know, it has become a special place for me. I hope to some day call myself a true "Wellfleetian". Your sodium was probably improved by being near the salt water. You and I have beach in our blood, and although there will never be any other place we call 'the beach', I am so happy for you that you were able to vacation at the beach this summer. Send me a jpeg of the photo of the kids so I can print it up!

Ann said...

I think the picture of you and Katie says it all. I love that you got to have fish and chips at the seaside.

Nelle said...

Ronni,
What a lovely family you have. Glad you could have these days with them. It is hard when the kids go out into the big world and our nest feels a bit empty. Katie will still be there this year though and her senior year is a big one for her. Hope you can enjoy all those special events with her: prom etc. I think President Obama was around the cape at the same time you were.
How I miss New England fish and chips which I haven't had in quite a while. Fall is coming and it is my favorite season...so looking forward to it. Today I woke up to a chilly morning. Have a great week and enjoy those chips!

pam said...

Dearest Runni,

what glorious photos! so glad that you enjoyed the ocean, hard to say 'the beach' though that will always be there...
as Diane said, the ocean is in your blood, and its healing powers continue to give you strength...
keep up with the salt!
the photos brought back memories of our group trip to nantucket years ago, pre-kids,
and then Ben's first birthday on the Cape, which i celebrated with you and with my Domino, you were dogless at the time,
and then there is of course the Cape of Friends Days...tim/eless...
xop